This article was last modified on November 23, 2014.

MP: Louis “Doc” Stacci and the Kansas City Massacre

born October 7, 1892 in Chicago to Andrea and Maria DeGrazia Stacci. The family would often spell their surname “Stacey”; in fact, it appears this way on census records and gravestones.

in 1917, he was a clerk at the Loyal Hotel at 214 South Clark Street in Chicago, where he also lived.

the year 1928, when it appears that Mrs. Nash (then Mrs. Luce) was working at the O. P. Inn, near Chicago, Ill., and she continued to work there until the latter part of 1931. She was there employed by the defendant Stacci, and there met Verne Miller as Stacci’s guest. She became intimately acquainted with Verne Miller and with the defendant Vivian Mathis, who lived with Miller as his wife, first meeting her at the O. P. Inn. She also met Frank Nash at this place.

Dick Galatas, owner of the White Front and a representative of Chicago gangsters in Hot Springs, witnessed the arrest of Frank Nash on June 16, 1933. Galatas brought Frances Nash to a neighbor’s house to make phone calls. At 2:50pm, at Galatas’ direction, Mrs. Nash called nightclub owner Louis “Doc” Stacci in Melrose Park.

(Before Galatas and Mrs. Nash left Hot Springs, he told her that Nash had told him if anything ever happened to him, he was to call Carey 65 and get in touch with Doc. Mrs. Nash replied that it was useless to call Carey 65, but that he could get in touch with Doc (nickname for Stacci) at the O. P. Inn, or at his home in Maywood. Mrs. Nash called the O. P. Inn. She was excited and asked Galatas what she should say. He said: “Tell them Jelly has been arrested and that you are going to Joplin, and for him, for Doc, to get in touch with Verne and that you — that they, should get in touch with you over at Esther Farmer’s.” At the Farmer home Mrs. Nash said: “I wonder why I don’t hear from Doc or Verne.”)

When Mrs. Nash called the O. P. Inn in Chicago, she did not talk to Stacci, but the message was delivered to him on a golf course. He was playing golf with “Machine Gun” Jack McGurn. Stacci was well acquainted with defendant Mulloy, who lived in Kansas City, and also with Miller. He had gone to Kansas City to play golf with Miller, and had dined with Vivian Mathis, Miller, and Mulloy. Mulloy was well acquainted with Verne Miller, Miller and Vivian Mathis having lived in his house for two or three weeks. In May, 1933, Mulloy had telegraphed $500 to Nash under the name of George W. Miller, at the request of Vivian Mathis. Stacci, after receiving the message on June 16th, that Nash had been arrested and to get in touch with Verne Miller and the Farmers, called Mulloy at Kansas City. He told the porter at the Horseshoe Club, with which Mulloy was connected, that he was the man who used to come to their place and drink gin bucks with Verne Miller, and that he wanted to get in touch with Miller. Stacci talked directly to Mulloy and told him he was trying to get in touch with Verne Miller, and he wished Mulloy would put him in touch with Miller; that he had talked to a woman who said Miller was not at his home. Mulloy attempted to get in touch with Miller, and talked with Vivian Mathis, and she said she would give Miller the message that he should call Stacci. Later that day, Mulloy saw Miller when he came from the golf course, and asked if he had received the message he gave Vivian Mathis, and Miller said he had already talked with Stacci. There was independent evidence that Miller called Stacci in Chicago. After the shooting, Mulloy removed Miller’s personal belongings to Mulloy’s home.

Stacci’s subsequent phone calls to Fritz Mulloy, a friend of Verne Miller’s in Kansas City, drew Miller into the plan to free Nash.

Mrs. Nash, after the killing, went to Chicago. She saw Stacci, and he said to her: “You don’t know anything.”

At a hearing on August 22, 1933, a continuance was given until September 7 on a hearing to have Stacci sent to Kansas City for trial. His bail of $50,000 was not lowered by Commissioner Edwin K. Walker. Defense attorney Frank T. Jordan argued against the continuance, saying the government had no case and any evidence they had against Stacci was hearsay.

Deafy Farmer and his wife, Dick Galatas and his wife, Frances Nash, Vivian Mathias, Doc Stacci, and Fritz Mulloy of Kansas City were indicted by a federal grand jury in Kansas City on October 24, 1934, and charged with three counts of conspiracy to aid “the escape of [a federal] prisoner properly committed to the custody of the Attorney General.”

Stacci was sentenced to two years in prison in 1935. Upon his release, he returned to Melrose Park and lived at 609 South 7th (in Maywood) with wife Helen and continued to manage a night club, the Broadway Cafe, in Melrose Park (at 149 Broadway).

died Sunday, August 15, 1943 of a heart attack in Franklin Park. He was only 50. Funeral services were at 116 Broadway in Melrose Park.

Also try another article under Organized Crime
or another one of the writings of Gavin.

Leave a Reply