This article was last modified on December 1, 2013.


Biographies of Neenah Police Chiefs

Short biographies of all the police chiefs in Neenah, Wisconsin up through the 1970s.

James McGinn (1878)

married Dora ??? January 4, 1844 in Kenosha; his wife was was born in County Cork, Ireland and came to America in 1835. She died July 10, 1895.

moved from Kenosha to Neenah in 1854, since which time they resided at their present home on Commercial Avenue (up through 1895).

elected police chief by the City Council in April 1878, with James Dolon elected night watchman at the same time. His brief tenure was simple, overseeing such things as people who celebrated July 4 by inappropriately throwing firecrackers into Main Street.

following his time as police chief, he served as postmaster (1887-1892) and was repeatedly elected a justice of the peace under the Democratic ticket, at least through 1903.

died maybe February 1907

one son, Frank McGinn

member of St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, and an avid deer hunter — bagging ten deer in 1884 alone.

Thomas Sherry (1879-1881)

born in 1843 in New York, came to Winnebago County by 1860

on Dec 4, 1882, a Thomas Sherry of Neenah filed patent #US 280678 A for a carriage-axle cutter. It was granted on July 3, 1883.

Ephraim Giddings (1882)

born March 17, 1831 in Vermont

married Martha (1838-1912)

came to Neenah circa 1855 where he worked as a government revenue officer

On April 20, 1861 he enlisted as a private in Company G of the 3rd Wisconsin Infantry. He was taken prisoner at Winchester on March 22, 1862 and was held in Salisbury Prison for three months. When released, he took part in the battle at Gettysburg and Sherman’s march to the sea. He was promoted to captain in March 1864 and was discharged on July 18, 1865.

an Ephraim Giddings of Neenah was a witness for the patent of Elijah Lindsley’s new hinge in August 1868

was a charter member of the Neenah chapter of Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) on January 18, 1884 and was named the post’s first commander.

died February 2, 1900 of heart failure at his rural Neenah farm, aged 68. He left behind two grown children, Eugene and Hattie. Besides police chief, he had also been a school clerk, alderman and village trustee.

George W. Sawyer (1883-1887, 1889)

may have been born in 1849, son of Chauncey and Lucina Sawyer

A. F. Haertl (1888)

George F. Thompson (1890-1891)

George Jorgensen (1892-1893)

lived at the northeast corner of 4th and Clark in 1893

John Peterson (1894-1895)

lived on the north side of Caroline, one west of Henry in 1895

Charles H. Watts (1896-1897, 1899-1900, May 18, 1916 – June 1, 1940)

born 1867 in Wisconsin

in 1900, he lived at 401 West North Water

in 1900, his night police were Ben Leroy and W. E. Giddings

he lived at 709 South Commercial from 1928-1939 with wife Charlotte L.

dead by 1942

Peter Darre Kraby (1898)

Kraby was born April 2, 1859 in Neenah, spent his childhood in Waupun where his father was a guard. His parents, Carl and Pernelle, were Norwegian immigrants. By the mid-1860s Carl was a diplomat living in Norway representing America, and Peter was taught in Norwegian schools until he was 10. Carl missed Neenah and returned in 1869 and took up the position of city clerk, a position he held until his death in 1880. Peter continued his education in Neenah, but left schoo lat age 16.

His father dead, 21-year old Peter began living with his sister Helen in Neenah and working in a flour mill but was elected city treasurer in 1885, and then county treasurer the following year until 1892. For two years, he served as Winnebago County Sheriff.

In 1895, was the proprietor of the Russell House (corner of Cedar and Wisconsin) where he also lived, but sold the business in 1897. Elected police chief for one year — 1898 — he left law enforcement and sold insurance from 1899 through 1901, his office at 119 North Commercial and his residence at 302 Lincoln. The insurance trade was not profitable, and he then moved to Wahington state to take up work with the Pendleton Logging Company.

The people of Everett, Washington elected Kraby as their police chief in 1902.

James William Brown (1901-1905, 1908-March 1916)

born May 3, 1850 in New York to Scottish immigrants, the family moved to Neenah around 1866

married his wife Elizabeth Richards of Sheboygan Falls in 1871. They lived at 208 West North Water from their wedding day through James’ death in 1922.

was the postmaster in 1895 (four years total), and also served as an alderman for four years and Winnebago County’s register of deeds for one term.

the Police Commission was formed around 1909 and appointed Brown as police chief (a position he already had) on June 27, 1910. The Commission named his men as Henry Bando, H. Burr and Harry Holverson. A Mr. Eisenach was named as a substitute.

in September 1910, Martin A. Peterson was robbed and accused Chief Brown of negligence in dealing with lawlessness. When the Commission met to discuss the allegations, Peterson refused to testify (saying it would amount to slander) and the charges were dropped.

after leaving the police force in 1916, he accepted the post of Neenah’s assessor

died march 19, 1922 in his bed from heart trouble, aged 72. Aside from his official duties, Brown was also a judge of horse races in Beaver Dam. He was a member of the Masons, the Oddfellows and the Presbyterian faith.

Charles Blank (1906-1907)

maybe 1871-July 2, 1953, married Hilda… would have to look up obit

Irving Henry Stilp (1940-1963)

born December 15, 1907, son of Henry H. Stilp and Lyda M. Lammel Thompson

joined the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department in March 1927, working there for 13 years, 5 of those as captain. He ran traffic and rode a police motorcycle.

married Charlotte A. Newby (1909-1994), who had been born in Boulder, Colorado, on February 3, 1929 in Waukegan.

1931, lived at 234 East Columbian Avenue

lived at 421 12th Street from 1939-1942, then at 419 12th Street from 1944-1961

Stilp was hired on as Neenah’s police chief in 1940

purchased the department’s first rescue boat from William C. Wing, president of the Fox River Paper Company in Appleton, in 1941, and replaced it with the first power boat in 1949, also from Wing. The second, a 47-foot cruiser, was named the Queen Mary.

under Stilp’s watch, a new police station began construction in August 1959 and opened in July 1960 at 125 East Doty Street. The $200,000 building replaced the previous offices which were stationed in City Hall. This was the city’s first internal jail, as offenders were previously housed in Menasha.

Stilp retired in March 1963. After retirement, he skippered boats for Jack Hewitt of Winneconne.

died October 3, 1987. He was of the Presbyterian faith and active in the Boys Brigade.

Lawrence Michael Malouf (1963-1973)

born in Clintonville on October 19, 1917 to Anna B., an Oshkosh native with Swedish and German ancestry. His father is unknown, though Malouf is a Syrian surname.

graduated from Menasha High School

lived in Oshkosh in 1930

Malouf joined the police force on February 24, 1942 as a patrolman. He was promoted to driver on April 16, 1948 at a time when the department had 11 officers, one car and one motorcycle. Malouf took a leading role in the investigation of the 1952 Earnest H. Feavel murder.

He was promoted to captain in April 1960, replacing the retiring Clarence B. Toeppler. He then took over as chief on April 1, 1963, when Chief Stilp retired.

Malouf retired in August 1973

died December 9, 1992

Also try another article under Historical / Biographical
or another one of the writings of Gavin.

Leave a Reply